i am asking but not listening.

Customers come and go, most of them have in mind what they want, not all of them. They did not choose to come to you; they chose to shop at your store you happened to work at. They are easy to spot; they come to you with a specific product in mind. They just need a means to get the product.

Those without an idea come to you with their symptoms and concerns. These people walk through the front door asking to speak to the expert in the store, sometimes you [pharmacy assistant/student] are the only expert they could get their hands on. They value your opinion, because you are the one with the knowledge to take their worries away, you know more than them and certainly you know the best course for them. They believe and trust in you.

Nonetheless, I am dumbfounded at times. Some of them are looking for assurance, that their decision is a good one, I get this part. Most of the time, I take away their doubts without second thought. They get the product and assurance they want. It is a win-win situation for them. They walk away happy.

I tend to err on the safe side all times. I chose my words carefully. I told them about the manufacturer’s claims about the products, the popularity among other customers if any. Some manage to get my unspoken lines, and they would proceed to ask me about the efficacy of the product.

I do believe a big part of retail pharmacy is based on placebo or sugar pills, anything of no direct medical benefit which nevertheless makes people feel better or benefit psychologically. Direct to consumer marketing is a powerful tool, on certain occasions, words written on the box is regarded as the highest authority instead of your words.

“But the box says that it will help with [insert patient’s worries].”
“I am looking for [whatever was advertising on the television].”

I am confused. Some approach you with the decision made in their mind and yet, they want you to have the same amount of confidence as they have in their decision, that you are backing their wise decision or at times, why not. And the magic line makes the second appearance in the interaction again.

“But the box says that it will help with [insert patient’s worries].”

I do not get them then. Why are you acting that you value my opinions then. If you have the money to spend, I will not stop you. It is simple; your money, your decision. Just don’t force your beliefs on me, just don’t. It annoys the crap out of me. I can’t be expected to endorse your decision when you chose to contradict me or the pharmacist’s advice.

Efficacy does not pick side and thus, has nothing to do with my support or approval. Asking to speak to me multiple times does not change a thing either.
 
Google Analytics Alternative