the Belle de Jour effect

The lesson seems to be that given any opportunity to have sex, a man will take it. I will leave it to the biologists to decide whether this is because of evolutionary strategy, or because of the way boys are raised. What I do know is that the oldest profession is not likely to go away regardless of what the law says.
- Belle de Jour
It is fascinating to note that the eastern and western community has a completely different view when it comes to S.E.X. Teenagers in the west are racing to lose their virginity but the eastern community, particularly the conservative Chinese is still quite particular about virginity. Marriages broken just because the bride is not a virgin the night of wedding is still happening in certain area, such is a totally conflicting phenomena happening around us.

One of my high school teachers make known to us that boys behaved the way they are, because they are not the one having to bear with the consequences, namely defloration and pregnancy. They get away after unleashed their load of genetic materials but there is significantly higher risk for the females, the girl has to deal with the aftermath.

The other teacher was telling the girls mati-mati jangan kasi, never to give “it” away. He added that the girl should slap the guy with her slippers if he ever made such request, and that guy would just dump you after he get it. We were 17-ish those days; boys are regarded as hamsap creatures. Those are few of the good old wise mantras.

However, there will some couples in a sexually active state, even during those days. We could sort of tell because they are not afraid of displaying their extensive intimacy in public. Unless you are from a strong religious background, it does not shock me anymore to know that you are sexually active now, even if you are an Asian. Asians have libido too, they have their right to have satisfying sex(s). My bottom line is that you play safe, why risk getting some of those nasty STDs.

During my early days of being here at Land of Kangaroos, my mother never failed to repeatedly reminds me not to make any girls pregnant. It has nothing to do with my upbringing but she was young once too. She knew, thus the gentle nudge. A sermon on the need for abstinence is probably not going to do much. I do have a feeling they would preach the importance of self- control, no pun intended if I was born a girl.

My parents, however never gave me the TALK, the thought of it is enough to send shivers up my spine. On the other extreme, my friend’s father even gave him advice on withdrawal technique. My friend is my age and that was few years ago. I do believe Asian parents are still quite conservative when it comes to the topic; they are uneasy and uncomfortable about it too.

Ching Ying, TAO, a Taiwanese show host, singer, writer and radio host released her book titled “I love therefore I am” (我愛故我在) last year and in her book, she wrote “Must have sex before marriage.” – a direct translation. She added that sex should be respected, but it should not be treated as inviolable taboo as it is the innate nature of how things should be. She said so not to encourage promiscuity, but to overthrow the unfair expectation of society on women that they must be still a virgin until the wedding night.

In many ways, I agree with her.
 
Google Analytics Alternative